Sunday 19 April 2009

Is this a dagger.....

I decided recently that it had been far too long since I've been to the theatre so when I saw the Royal Exchange in Manchester was producing Macbeth I decided to book tickets. I knew J wouldn't want to come so I asked my Chorley Crop friends and my Shakespeare fan friend, Kathie, came with me. We met in town and had a lovely meal beforehand in a restaurant called Croma (lovely Italian food at a good price!) and then went to “breath” in the theatre – it is so long since I've been to the Royal Exchange I had forgotten how small it seems when you go inside.

It was maybe not the best Shakespeare we've seen but it was a modern production with some clever ideas – the weird sisters were war distraught children and a very clever Obama reference at the end – but at the end of the day it was theatre and I just enjoyed the fact I could sit and watch something for a few hours and try and see how it all fits together, how did they do the stage changes, how they made words of Shakespeare fit into a modern world and just pretend for a short while that I was part of the theatre. Oh and we got to see bits of Macbeth himself I hadn't quite expected to see! He did have to wash the blood off but I didn't think it would have got quite that far LOL!

No comments: