Sunday 19 April 2009

Dr Who

1 down and only 3 more to go! I have never been a huge Dr Who fan until it returned with Christopher Eccleston but I do remember hiding behind the sofa when I was younger and also having a bit of a crush on Peter Davidson as the Dr. However, David Tennant has just “become” the Dr for me and I am going to miss him when he has finished his last 4 specials this year. The first of the four was shown on Saturday and it was a pretty standard Dr Who romp – not too much to think about, a few giggles and a couple of near miss moments. But.... the trailer for the next one already looks scary and the hint from Russell T Davies in the Dr Who Confidential is that the last 3 are going to be so much darker. The one thing I have realised over the past 4 seasons is how beautifully Russell T has written in a complete story arc over everything that has happened – I don't know how much he had decided to do when he began writing but you get the feeling he has always known the beginning, the middle and the end of the story for this Dr and has dropped in subtle hints all along. I also love the way he drops in references to past Dr's and their stories and it is only “there” if you know it so the super-fans love it (thanks to my very own super-fan Kathie explaining some of it to me on the way so I get it). David Tennant is no doubt destined for stardom (his Hamlet last summer was just awesome and I still can't believe I saw it!) but he will always be the 10th Dr Who and did a dam good job of it too!

No comments: